IT OUTSOURCING PLAYBOOK
Since the industry is rapidly growing the issue of education has occupied a significant place. According to the latest data, Ukrainian educational institutions providing IT trainings (there are over 100 of both state and private ownership) graduate up to 30,000 IT specialists annually.
Top 5 Ukrainian Institutions that provide the best IT education:
- National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”
- Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University
- National University “Lviv Polytechnic”
- Kharkiv Radio Electronics National University
- Ivan Franko Lviv National University
As to the specialization, the institutions offer the following areas to choose from:
- System Sciences and Cybernetics (Applied Maths, Informatics, System Analysis and Computer Sciences)
- Informatics and Computer Engineering (Hardware and Software Engineering)
- Control Automation (System Engineering, Automation and Computer Integrated Technologies)
The division of IT employees according to their education
Since classic (university) education is not well aligned with outsourcing industry needs there are a lot of re-training services. All big IT companies have created their own training centers where they create or re-train specialists to eliminate gap between University education and industry requirements. The big companies like EPAM, SoftServe, Luxoft, retrain up to 1,000 specialists a year. These courses are very popular among the beginners.
Apart from IT graduates, those in other areas also become developers. Self-education is very popular among Ukrainian IT professionals or those willing to become one of them. This is triggered by very high salaries offered by IT companies, for example the average salary over the country is about $170 compared to $2000-2500 in IT. Along with self-education, Ukraine has many IT societies, training centers, courses and certification centers for professionals to obtain or upgrade their IT qualifications.
Within the past few years, the state has been paying active attention to the IT sector and help this specific sector to be developing. In schools, children are studying computer science. A lot of information about the industry and development opportunities in these occupations appears. It is well known that today in Ukraine there is a kind of trend on the IT industry. Everyone wants to join it; however, not everyone is ready to the workload the industry requires.